Multiculturalism has been a
hot button topic in the past two decades in education. During elementary school there not
much diversity in the curriculum, however my teachers did attempt to implement some
multiculturalistic views into the classroom. According to Banks (1999), there
are four approaches to a multicultural curriculum and they are: contributions,
additive, transformation and social action approaches. My teachers in
elementary and high school used the contributions approach (e.g. discussing Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr. in January or during Black History month). So as one can
see my initial experiences with
multiculturalism was very limited.
I agree that schools are usually the first place where
children can learn about different cultures and how to become “good and
productive“ citizens. According to Hirsch (1992), the schools of a modern
nation are the chief institutions through which children become members of a
wider national community. Children will become adults who cooperate and sustain
one another only if the school-based culture they gain makes them feel that
they truly belong to the larger society. This is definitely something to think
about because what if a child is not around any other cultures besides their
own, he or she views of the world would be very limited because once that child
becomes an adult he or she would have to encounter people from different
backgrounds and having a multicultural curriculum a child would at least have
an opportunity to learn about and respect other cultures.
I also agree that cultures should be taught together
rather than separately. According to Waxler, all cultures should be taught
throughout all the units in order to be
truly multicultural education. Having separate months for different
cultures is exactly the opposite of what true multicultural education should be
trying to achieve. I understand that in the past decades having separate months
for different cultures (e.g. Black and
Hispanic History) was due to the limited and restricted means in our country
for a more diverse historical curriculum, but I do see his point now in how all
cultures should be taught together.
As a child I can remember that the curriculum was very
traditional and it was mainly based on the dominant culture. The only time I can
remember seeing the curriculum relating to me was during Black History month
when the teachers would discuss different influential African-American figures
in American history which were limited to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa
Parks. If it was not for my parents supplementing what my teachers missed I
would not have probably heard of Nat Turner or Crispus Attucks. The structure
and policies of the schools in my hometown when I was growing was very rigid
and limited. I can remember them doing a tracking system (which is very arcane
and wrong I might add) to see the ones who were struggling academically and had
behavioral issues.
References:
Banks, J.A. (1999). An Introduction to Multicultural Education (2nd ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
Hirsch, E.D. (1992). Towards a Centrist Curriculum: Two Kinds of Multiculturalism in Elementary Schools. Core Knowledge Foundation. Charlottesville, Va.
Kyriakou, N. March 29, 2006. Organizers See "New Civil Rights Movement" in Immigration Protests. http://www.oneworld.net.
Waxler, A. Multiculturalism in School Curriculum. https://elearn.mtsu.edu/d2l/lms/content/viewer/main_frame.d2l?ou=2611260&tId=20625470
No comments:
Post a Comment